- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup (8 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Remove from the heat; carefully stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and macaroni is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTwo-Cheese Macaroni Casserole
"perfect. I only had 3 cups of cheese, and it was still perfect. This is one dish my 16 year old daughter insisted she learn to make, and she hates to cook."
"used 1 C Sour Cream instead of cottage cheese"
"Great recipe! I borrowed from JakeFell, reducing the amount of butter and adding sour cream. I used muenster and cheddar cheese and added about a tablespoon of dried parsley. After baking for 45 minutes, I uncovered it and sprinkled crushed wheat Town House crackers and baked uncovered 20 minutes longer. Excellent!!"
"I added a 4 oz. can of green chilies and 6 crumbled strips of bacon. Also a splash of hot sauce. It turned out amazing!"
"I used only .6 lb sharp cheddar, cottage cheese w/chive and a few red pepper flakes-it had great flavor!"
"Fast, easy and tasty. For a variation add beer in place of water. Nevertheless Mac and cheese"
"This didn't come out well and I followed the recipe exactly."
"This was good. I wish it had a little more flavor but it was good. I will probably make this again next week and add some bacon to it."
"You definitely need all the cheese this calls for! I thought I could get away with adding less. Four cups sounded like so much! But it really adds to the flavor. I added frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, for nutrition and garlic salt for a bit more flavor."