Here's a light and airy dessert that I first tried in Ireland. When I got home, I made it for my kids, who loved to build their own with their favorite fruits. The whipped cream makes for icing on the cake! —Norma Stevenson, Eagan, Minnesota
Recommended: 31 Baking Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; draw a 10-in. circle on paper. Invert paper.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Spoon meringue onto prepared pan; with the back of a spoon, shape into a 10-in. circle, forming a shallow well in the center. Bake 45-55 minutes or until meringue is set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringue in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheet.
- To serve, toss berries with 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Remove meringue from parchment paper; place on a serving plate. Spoon whipped cream over top, forming a slight well in the center. Top with berries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Two-Berry Pavlova in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016