Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 215 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 895mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
May 7, 2014
This recipe has been in my favorite recipe rotation for several years. To keep it low fat use a lean packaged ham or leftover meat from ham dinner. Everyone who has eaten this; young, old, and in between find it filling, warm, and yummy. Recipe makes a large quantity!!
Apr 2, 2009
one serving is 4 weight watcher points
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.