Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 215 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 895mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 7, 2014
This recipe has been in my favorite recipe rotation for several years. To keep it low fat use a lean packaged ham or leftover meat from ham dinner. Everyone who has eaten this; young, old, and in between find it filling, warm, and yummy. Recipe makes a large quantity!!
Apr 2, 2009
one serving is 4 weight watcher points