Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 215 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 895mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 16, 2019
it's been nearly six years my initial review below. Nothing has changed in reference to this recipe. I continue to serve it to not only my family, but numbers of friends. I make it from scratch soaking the beans and then putting everything together. I generally use either a black forest or honey ham for the meat. Even my vegetarian daughter loves this..just removes the meat and gobbles it down. This is a winner for a warm comfortable and nourishing bowl of soup and is excellent serve with a nice piece of warm French bread and butter. It's a great meal, doesn't take long to make, and is always a winner!
Apr 2, 2009
one serving is 4 weight watcher points