"I was sure to learn the secrets behind my mom's zesty chili before I got married," explains Deborah Heatwole. "Steaming bowls of it are great in the winter with coleslaw and corn bread or muffins," she says from her home in Waynesboro, Georgia. Surprise your gang with the snappy supper tonight.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups refried beans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; cook until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 156 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Two-Bean Chili in Quick Cooking January/February 2003