This satisfying dish is nutritious and can be prepared a day ahead, refrigerated and baked before serving.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Bake potatoes at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Allow to cool. Place parsnips and garlic in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato; discard. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a thin shell. In a bowl, mash potato pulp with parsnips and garlic. Beat in next five ingredients, using a hand mixer.
- Stir in green onions. Spoon into the potato shells. Combine the Parmesan cheese and paprika; sprinkle over top. Place on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 416 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 728mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Potatoes 'n' Parsnips in Reminisce Extra February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.