Mix it up for dinner by substituting your go-to spuds dish with rutabagas. This recipe bacon, cheese and whipping cream. Even the skeptics won't be able to resist a bite! —Lisa Bynum, Brandon, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 small rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cooked bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine rutabagas and water. Microwave, covered, on high 16-20 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway. Mash rutabagas; add bacon, cream, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions.
- Spoon mixture into 8 greased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 361 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Twice Baked Rutabagas in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016