Mix it up for dinner by substituting your go-to spuds dish with rutabagas. This recipe bacon, cheese and whipping cream. Even the skeptics won't be able to resist a bite! —Lisa Bynum, Brandon, Mississippi
Featured In: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 small rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine rutabagas and water. Microwave, covered, on high 16-20 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway. Mash rutabagas; add bacon, cream, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions.
- Spoon mixture into eight greased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining green onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Rutabagas in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p45