These tempting potatoes are a real treat, even though they don't contain heavy sour cream or cream cheese. Chives, onion, bacon and reduced-fat cheddar cheese still provide big flavor and make a side dish perfect for a special meal. Prepare a double or triple batch to serve a group.—Debbie Jones, California, Maryland
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Bake potatoes at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell.
- In a small bowl, mash the pulp with butter. Stir in the milk, bacon, onion, chives, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup cheese. Spoon into potato shells. Top with remaining cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Bacon Twice-Baked Potatoes in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2008, p403