- 18 medium fresh strawberries with stems
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 3-1/2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a tray or baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. Wash strawberries and pat until completely dry.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt vanilla chips and 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening at 70% power; stir until smooth. Dip each strawberry until two-thirds is coated, forming the tuxedo shirt, allowing excess to drip off. Place on prepared tray; chill for 30 minutes or until set.
- Melt chocolate chips and remaining shortening. To form the tuxedo jacket, dip each side of berry into chocolate from the tip of the strawberry to the top of vanilla coating. Repeat on the other side, leaving a white V-shape in the center. Set remaining chocolate aside. Chill berries for 30 minutes or until set.
- Remelt reserved chocolate if necessary. Using melted chocolate and a round pastry tip #2, pipe a bow tie at the top of the white V and three buttons down front of shirt. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator in a covered plastic container for up to 1 day. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forTuxedo Strawberries
"I made these for a murder mystery party and the theme was the Academy Awards. These strawberries were a hit and so easy to make. Definitely recommend making. Volunteer Field Editor"
"I just wasted $8.00 worth of chips. Melted the white chips in the microwave on level six and they burned. So I tried again on - level FOUR and again it got thick and scorched even before the chips were melted. So I tried melting the chocolate chips on the stove in a double boiler. There is no way I could "dip" the berries. By the time the chips melted, it was thicker than molasses in January. So I guess I'll go back to using the dipping chocolate discs I have used before. Obviously I did something wrong since everyone else seemed to have great success. The berries are still good, but the melted mess is in the trash."
"this was so good and easy i will be making it again such a cute idea"
"My friend and I did come up with some ladies evening gowns to match the tuxedos...there are lots of colored icings and decorative cake toppers to make strapless, off the shoulder and spaghetti strap beautiful gowns! No two alike!"
"So classy and fun to make. Thanks Gisella!"
"easy to do and delicious!!!"
"This is a such a special touch to an already Valentine must make treat! They are very elegant and everyone that saw them were impressed! These strawberries are something I will definitely keep in my bag of tricks for special occaisions. I am going to try and come up with a lady evening gown design to go with them! Nice work Gisella."