- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 11)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add extracts and food coloring if desired. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in candied fruit. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forTutti-Frutti Angel Food Cake
"my cake didn't rise much at all. i reduced the sugar by half a cup and it was still on the sweet side. taste was ok but not as good as i had hoped"
"This is a different, fun way to make angel food cake. It always gets oohs and aahs!"