Tuscan Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 3 large yellow or red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on a wire rack.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, anchovies, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, celery, onion and red peppers.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer with a third of the bread cubes and a third of the greens mixture; drizzle with a third of the dressing. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 366mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 5, 2015
This was not my favorite recipe. The dressing just didn't taste good.
May 16, 2011
Enjoyed making and serving this delicious salad! (I served it in large glass salad bowl, mixed it all together and let it chill in fridge until dinner was ready. I also omitted the anchovies)
Apr 29, 2011
This salad is very similar to "Dimitri's Salad" which was very popular in Erie, Pa at Dimitri's Restaurant. Dimitri retired to Greece and took his recipe with him. I am glad to see it where so many can enjoy it, and yes, the flavors blend better if it sits for a while. I hope you all love it as much as Erie did.
Apr 28, 2011
I made this recipe and it is quite good. Next time, I will cut down on the anchovies.
Apr 28, 2011
Actually, I am making this salad tomorrow! Can't wait. We love all the ingredients, and this will look so colorful on the table. I know this will be a hit with everyone. Thanks for sharing this recipe.Loretta
Apr 28, 2011
This salad is so colorful it just invites sharing!