Tuscan Steak Flatbreads
Wrap tender grilled flatbreads around steak and top with cheese and homemade sun-dried tomato pesto for an instant party! People will love the fun presentation and the mouthwatering taste.—Michael Cohen, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 15 min.
- SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO:
- 1/3 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- STEAK FLATBREADS:
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 flatbreads or whole pita breads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- For pesto, place the parsley, basil and garlic in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add the Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, sherry, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove and keep warm.
- Brush one side of each flatbread with oil; place oiled side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread the grilled side of each flatbread with pesto. Cut steak into thin strips; place over pesto. Top with fontina cheese and basil.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 718 calories, 43g fat (14g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 961mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Tuscan Steak Flatbreads with Sun-Dried Tomato in Country Woman February/March 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.