Total TimePrep: 45 min. Broil: 10 min.
Makes32 kabobs (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 16 bacon strips, cut in half widthwise
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 loaf (1/2 pound) French bread
- 32 fresh basil leaves
- 32 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- RED PEPPER AIOLI:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Cut chicken into 32 cubes, about 1 in. each. Wrap a bacon piece around each cube. Cut bread in half lengthwise, then cut into 32 slices.
- On 32 metal or soaked wooden appetizer skewers, thread a wrapped chicken cube, basil leaf, bread slice and cherry tomato. Place on baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; brush over kabobs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning frequently. Meanwhile, place aioli ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Serve with kabobs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 132 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 31, 2011
The intent was for this to be an appetizer for Christmas Eve. However, the family liked it so much it ended up being THE main dish. I used a garlic Artisan bread which was very flavorful with the lemon juice. Next time I will add some green pepper to the kabob and give that a try. It just seemed to need another vegetable. The family wants it back when I have my next crop of cherry tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.