Tuscan Bread Salad
I have made this salad many times over the years and it always receives many compliments. The addition of capers and Greek olives gives it a unique flavor and the bread cubes, a nice crunchy texture. This salad is very easy to prepare and is one of our family’s favorites. —Mary Ann Dell, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 cups cubed Italian bread
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced Greek olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 5 cups torn romaine
- Place bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until dried and toasted, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, onion, olives, capers and toasted bread. Drizzle with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add romaine and remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 185 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Tuscan Bread Salad with Romaine Ribbons in Reminisce February/March 2009