- 1-1/4 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup coarsely chopped thawed frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and tomatoes in 2 teaspoons oil from sun-dried tomatoes until mushrooms are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine spinach, pesto, pepper and, if desired, pepper flakes. Add artichokes, mozzarella cheese, 5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and mushroom mixture; mix well.
- Unroll crescent dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations. Roll out into a 14x9-in. rectangle.
- Spread filling in a 3-in.-wide strip down center of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1/2 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Whisk egg and remaining oil; brush over dough. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before cutting into 12 slices. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forTuscan Artichoke & Spinach Strudel
"Very good, didn't change a thing!"
"I substitute the sun dried tomatoes with roasted red peppers, and I replace the frozen artichokes with the jarred variety. I use the juices from both the peppers and artichokes to sautée the mushrooms and spinach. I have also found it easy to bake it as a casserole by placing one unrolled tube of crescent rolls on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, layer in the ingredients, then top it off with a second roll of crescents, egg, and Parmesan. Any way I make it, my family enjoys every bite...even my three year old!"
"LOVE THIS RECIPE!"