- 1-1/3 pounds turtle meat
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, bring turtle meat and water to a boil. Skim off foam. Chop 1 onion and set aside. Quarter the other onion; add to saucepan along with bay leaf, cayenne pepper and salt. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and cut into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside. Strain broth and set aside. Rinse and dry saucepan; melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook chopped onion until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly and lightly browned. Whisk in reserved broth; cook and stir until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, eggs, lemon juice and meat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forTurtle Soup
"We haven't had turtle soup for years. After printing this recipe, my husband made it & found it was simple to make. We didn't have tomato puree so substituted tomato sauce which worked fine. The lemon juice offsets the sweetness of the turtle. We liked it."
"Where can I get turtle meat?"