- 1 box (18-1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Pecan halves for garnish, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Set aside half of batter; pour remaining batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt caramels, milk and butter. Remove from heat; add nuts. Pour over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then pour reserved batter over top. Bake 20 minutes more or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool. Cut into squares and top each with a pecan half if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews forTurtle Nut Cake
"this is very tasty, and so easy. the only thing negative i might mention is that its supper rich and and i would suggest serving with a nice cold glass of milk or as i did vanilla ice cream. also i used semi sweet mini chips insted and they worked great although i might try it with milk chocolate ones next time so its not nearly as rich."
"Yummy cake! Mine didn't look as pretty as the picture shown (maybe we were too anxious to eat it)."