- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
- Whipped cream, optional
- Combine crumbs and butter; blend well. Press into the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a 10-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set; cool.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels in milk, stirring until smooth. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into crust; top with 1-1/2 cups of pecans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate; mix just until blended. Carefully spread over pecans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until filling is almost set. Cool to room temperature. Chill overnight. Garnish with remaining pecans and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forTurtle Cheesecake
"We loved this cheesecake!! It turned out perfect! I wouldn't change a [email protected]"
"What is not to love...caramel, chocolate and pecans all in a delicious cheesecake! Delicious!!"
"There's a lot of cheesecake in this cheesecake. It's a richer flavor but very good. I liked the crust and have made it for other cheesecakes I've made also. My only complaint is that the layer of caramel on top of the bottom crust made the slicing of pieces a bit more difficult because it was hard and sticky. Other than that it was delicious."
"I made this for a rehersal dinner, it was soo good."
"I made recipe as written, but used all lower-fat Neufchatel cheese with no problems. I would suggest wrapping bottom of springform pan in foil as I had melted butter seep out, which then burns and smokes. Make sure to read recipe to the end--has to be chilled overnight for best result."
"RAVE reviews on this cheesecake. easy to make and fantastic flavor. No one in my house could stop at just one piece!"
"This was my first experience in making a cheesecake. Wow what a wonderful taste and great fun to make."