Turtle Bread Recipe
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add 1 egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape dough into one 2-in. ball, four 1-1/2-in. balls, one 1-in. ball and one large round ball.
- 3. For turtle shell, place the large dough ball in the center of a greased baking sheet. Place the 2-in. ball at the top for head; position 1-1/2-in. balls on either side for feet. Shape the 1-in. ball into a triangle for tail; place on opposite side of large ball from head.
- 4. Press all edges together to seal. Add raisins for eyes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 5. Beat the remaining egg; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make shallow diamond-shaped slashes across top of turtle shell.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 87 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Turtle Bread
"There wasn't too much taste too it. More salt would probably be a good idea. Although, I love the idea!!!"