- 1-1/2 pounds turnips (about 6 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place turnips, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sugar in a saucepan; cover with water. Cover and cook until turnips are tender, about 15-20 minutes; drain well and mash (do not add milk or butter). Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour and remaining salt until smooth. Add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot milk mixture. Return all to pan; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in turnips; remove from the heat. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. glass baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forTurnip Souffle
"No one will know this is made from turnips."