Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Eggland's Best egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 129 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
I really did not like the way this turned out. We had to toss it. Too mushy the way they have you prepare the turnips. very little taste either; needs a lot more than they call for here. I prefer turnips sliced and baked in a casserole I’ve decided. Much better texture.
Jan 21, 2014
My husband loves this recipe!