Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 129 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 21, 2019
I really did not like the way this turned out. We had to toss it. Too mushy the way they have you prepare the turnips. very little taste either; needs a lot more than they call for here. I prefer turnips sliced and baked in a casserole I’ve decided. Much better texture.
Jan 21, 2014
My husband loves this recipe!