Turkey with Festive Fruit Stuffing Recipe
Apples, cranberries and raisins make every bite of this stuffing moist and fruity. A dear friend shared the recipe with me years ago.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing cubes, apples, walnuts, raisins and cranberries. Stir in the egg substitute, salt, pepper and enough broth to reach desired moistness.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with stuffing. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over turkey.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings (10 cups stuffing).
1 each: 784 calories, 40g fat (14g saturated fat), 271mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 78g protein.
Reviews for Turkey with Festive Fruit Stuffing
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC