Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing
When our family gathers for Christmas dinner, we'll carve a succulent turkey and savor the stuffing my mother taught me to make. Her version of the Southern favorite gets color and zip from the olives and chilies.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (4-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (14 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing or 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 turkey (8 to 10 pounds)
- Melted butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add stuffing and toss lightly. Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate.
- Skewer openings of turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. When the turkey begins to brown, baste if needed; cover lightly with foil.
- For gravy, dissolve bouillon cube in water; set aside. Transfer turkey to a warm platter. Remove stuffing. Pour 1/4 cup pan drippings into a saucepan; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add bouillon mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, Serve with turkey and stuffing.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 720 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 1473mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 76g protein.
Originally published as Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing in Taste of Home December/January 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.