Turkey with Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old corn bread
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- Melted butter
- 1. In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Place in a large bowl with corn bread, crumbs, sage and poultry seasoning. Combine egg substitute and broth; add to corn bread mixture, stirring gently to mix.
- 2. Just before baking, stuff the body cavity and inside the neck with dressing. Skewer or fasten openings. Tie the drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. When turkey is done, allow to stand for 20 minutes. Remove all dressing to a serving bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: Dressing may be prepared as above and baked in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
4 ounce-weight: 663 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 72g protein.
Reviews for Turkey with Corn Bread Dressing
"This is a good dressing but it was a bit dry for me. If you like a drier, crumbly stuffing you will probably like this, but if I make it again I would double the chicken broth."
"I usually use 2 real eggs in place of the substitute. I have to make this every Christmas. My hubby likes it better than his mom's."
"I have made this turkey and dressing for years. Always delicious!!"
"This was my first turkey.....I have never been so nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This recipe is so amazing an the dressing is.....superb! Will most def make this again!!!!!!! Except rubbed with poultry seasoning & butter.....just turned out perfect!!!!!"