Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing
With delicious chopped chestnuts in the savory stuffing, this golden roasted bird is a special Thanksgiving treat. It's a "must" on the menu at the annual holiday meal my family shares with dear friends.—Ardis Rollefson, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 4-1/4 + standing
Makes18 servings (9-10 cups stuffing)
- 1 pound chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 turkey (18 to 20 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil. Cut an "X" in each chestnut; drop into boiling water. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; peel outer shell and inner skin. Coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage, stuffing and chestnuts. Add broth and water; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before roasting. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Editor's Note: Stuffing can be prepared as directed and baked separately in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 min. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 787 calories, 37g fat (12g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 78g protein.
Originally published as Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.