- 1 pound chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 turkey (18 to 20 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil. Cut an "X" in each chestnut; drop into boiling water. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; peel outer shell and inner skin. Coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage, stuffing and chestnuts. Add broth and water; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before roasting. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 18 servings (9-10 cups stuffing).
Reviews forTurkey with Chestnut Stuffing
"I did not really like this. I wanted to try something new for Thanksgiving, but next year I will go back to my wild rice stuffing."