Turkey with Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 12 cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (15 to 20 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1. In a large skillet, saute apples, almonds, onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in salt, cinnamon and poultry seasoning. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, raisins and apple mixture. Add cider and egg substitute; toss to mix.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with half of the stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey opening; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour water into pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 30-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
- 5. For gravy, pour pan drippings into a 4-cup measuring cup; skim off fat. Add enough water to measure 4 cups. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in bouillon, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. In a bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; whisk into boiling broth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 15-18 servings (12 cups stuffing and 3 cups gravy).
8 ounce-weight: 740 calories, 35g fat (10g saturated fat), 220mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 68g protein.
Reviews for Turkey with Apple Stuffing
"i made it one year now may fam wants it every year lol"