Turkey with Apple Stuffing
The accompanying foolproof gravy recipe is one I created in an attempt to copy my mom's own rich gravy.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 4 hours 40 min. + standing
Makes15-18 servings (12 cups stuffing and 3 cups gravy)
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 12 cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (15 to 20 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- In a large skillet, saute apples, almonds, onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in salt, cinnamon and poultry seasoning. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, raisins and apple mixture. Add cider and egg substitute; toss to mix.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with half of the stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey opening; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour water into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 30-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
- For gravy, pour pan drippings into a 4-cup measuring cup; skim off fat. Add enough water to measure 4 cups. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in bouillon, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. In a bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; whisk into boiling broth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with turkey and stuffing.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 740 calories, 35g fat (10g saturated fat), 220mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 68g protein.
Originally published as Turkey with Apple Stuffing in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.