Turkey Waldorf Sandwiches
The fresh fruity filling for this sandwich is a nice variation of a classic. My clan loves the cool and creamy combination, so I serve these sandwiches often for a light lunch or dinner.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium green apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 16 hard rolls, split
- Drain pineapple, pressing out excess juice; discard all but 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, turkey, apples, walnuts and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, poppy seeds, lemon zest, vanilla, seasoning blend and reserved pineapple juice. Pour over turkey mixture and toss well. Chill. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Waldorf Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition