Turkey Vegetable Barley Soup
Betty Kleberger of Florissant, Missouri says, "This satisfying soup has an interesting blend of flavors...and it's good for you, too. It's a great way to use up leftover holiday turkey."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes10 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cans (one 49-1/2 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Originally published as Turkey Barley Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2004