Turkey Tomato Soup Recipe
- 4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 8 large tomatoes)
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in turkey and macaroni; heat through. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 139 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 443mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Turkey Tomato Soup
"This was a great recipe, however, 10 minutes of prep time is not accurate. In order to seed and chop 8 large tomatoes takes a LOT longer than 10 minutes, plus everything else (including cooking the turkey and pasta!) But, it's worth it. I added some corn, carrots, canned whole tomatoes, garlic salt, table salt, two extra garlic cloves and an additional can of chicken broth. I do not have a Dutch Oven, so I simmered everything in a soup pot for about 45 minutes, while cooking the turkey and pasta ahead of time and added them after 45 minutes of simmer time. I simmered for another 15 minutes and it was done! Delicous!"