This sandwich gets its irresistible crunch and flavor from a quick-and-easy coleslaw...what a nice change of pace from lettuce! You'll never make an ordinary club again.
Recommended: Sandwich Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 6 tomato slices
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked turkey
- Combine the first five ingredients in a bowl. Add cabbage; toss. Set aside for 30 minutes. Cut a thin slice off the to of the bread; hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Place half of the cabbage mixture in bottom of loaf. Layer with bacon, tomato, cucumber and turkey; top with remaining cabbage mixture. Replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Tomato Club in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p96