Turkey Stuffing Mix
Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon reveals, "I use dry bread for this recipe, which costs just a fraction of the price of a store-bought mix."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6 servings per batch
- 3-1/2 cups unseasoned toasted bread cubes
- 3 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place bread cubes in a jar or resealable plastic bag. In a small plastic bag, combine the celery flakes, parsley flakes, onion, bouillon, poultry seasoning and sage. Tie the bag shut and attach to jar or bag of bread cubes. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare stuffing: In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and contents of seasoning packet to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; add bread cubes and mix gently. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Toss with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 122 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Instant Stuffing Mix in Taste of Home December/January 1998