We stuff acorn squash with leftovers like turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce. Make as much or as little as you need to use everything up. —Cindy Romberg, Mississauga, Ontario
Recommended: Baking with Squash
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups cooked stuffing
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place in a shallow roasting pan, hollow side down; add 1/4 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place onion in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and wine.
- Carefully remove squash from roasting pan; drain water. Return squash to pan, hollow side up; sprinkle with salt. Spoon turkey mixture into squash cavities. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until heated through and squash is easily pierced with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey-Stuffed Acorn Squash in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p170