VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked multigrain spaghetti
- Crumble sausage and turkey into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms, green pepper and onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the puree, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve desired amount with spaghetti. Cool remaining sauce; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 7-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Turkey Spaghetti Sauce in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p47