Turkey Soft Tacos
“Though I’m not a native of San Antonio, I do enjoy the spicy local flavor,” Pattie McGlinchey says from Texas. “Bean-and-corn turkey tacos are my 5-year-old’s favorite. I love that they’re a cinch to put together and healthy, too…but don’t tell that to my son!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add half of the tomatoes. Stir in the water, paprika, cumin, chili powder and salt. Add beans and corn; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Place about 1/2 cup turkey mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold sides of tortilla over filling. Serve with green onions, cilantro and remaining tomatoes and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 378 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 14, 2012
Not awful, but very boring.
Aug 18, 2011
Used 1# extra lean ground beef (93/7) in place of ground turkey. Needs more spice, would increase the amount of chili powder to 2-3 teaspoons.