Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in sloppy joe mix, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, place avocado, oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in coleslaw mix. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms and top with slaw. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich: 402 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw
"I always rate the dishes I try and this one got an A- to a B"
"I thought this was really good. I used a different sloppy joe recipe that is my favorite which is actually from Taste of Homes called Sloppy Joe SandwichesSo the avocado slaw was really good, I think I might still find a way to make it have more flavor as another reviewer suggested but I really enjoyed the crunch of the coleslaw on a sloppy joe!"