Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in sloppy joe mix, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place avocado, oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in coleslaw mix. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms and top with slaw. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 402 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Jul 4, 2015
I always rate the dishes I try and this one got an A- to a B
Apr 10, 2014
I thought this was really good. I used a different sloppy joe recipe that is my favorite which is actually from Taste of Homes called Sloppy Joe SandwichesSo the avocado slaw was really good, I think I might still find a way to make it have more flavor as another reviewer suggested but I really enjoyed the crunch of the coleslaw on a sloppy joe!
May 25, 2013
I'm always on the look out of quick and easy recipes so I thought I give this one a try. The avocado slaw was intriguing, but I was disappointed. The was no flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.