Turkey Sausage with Root Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 10 min. CooK: 30 min.
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion, rutabaga and carrots in oil for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, broth, thyme, sage, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Place cabbage wedges on top. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes and cabbage are tender.
- Carefully remove cabbage to a shallow serving bowl; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Spoon over cabbage.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 231 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2010
I am not a big cabbage fan, but found this recipe to be delicious! The kids did not particularly care for the cabbage, but that was to be expected. I really enjoyed the blending of flavors. I topped mine off with a TB of cheese and that was a nice touch to the flavor also.