- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, beans, carrots, green beans, zucchini, pepper and green onions. In a large bowl, whisk stock, tomato paste and seasoned salt; pour over vegetables.
Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Just before serving, stir in basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little stock if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forTurkey Sausage Soup with Fresh Vegetables
"Really good. I hardly ever change anything the first time but I did this time because... I do not like zucchini in soups so I substituted red potatoes, substituted Italian green beans for green beans because I prefer Italian green beans. I only used 6 oz. of tomato paste instead of 12. Used 1 15 oz. can of petite tomatoes instead of 3 fresh and yellow onion in place of green onions, dried basil in place of fresh because that was what I had. soup was really good and I don't think my changes were that big a deal. I will definitely be making this again."
"Followed the recipe exactly. It was a big hit with everyone and I will most certainly make it again."
"Lots of options to change up with whatever veggies your family likes. Very tasty but light soup."