Turkey Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- 3/4 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, rice, salt, cayenne and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add tomatoes and shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 288 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1311mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Turkey Sausage Jambalaya
"This is delicious. I increased the shrimp to 12oz and served it with the Dilly Corn on the same page and garlic bread."