Turkey Sausage Cabbage Rolls
I practically grew up in my Polish grandmother's kitchen, watching Babci cook and listening to her stories. I made her cabbage roll recipe healthier with whole grains and turkey, but kept the same rich flavors I remember. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
- 12 large plus 6 medium cabbage leaves
- 2 packets (3 ounces each) instant multigrain rice mix
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (about 4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1. In batches, cook cabbage leaves in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine rice mix, onion, red pepper, parsley and seasonings. Add turkey and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- 3. Line bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker with medium cabbage leaves, overlapping as needed. Trim thick veins from bottom of large cabbage leaves, making V-shaped cuts. Top each with about 1/2 cup filling. Pull cut edges together to overlap, then fold over filling; fold in sides and roll up. Layer in slow cooker, seam side down. Pour vegetable juice over top.
- 4. Cook, covered, on low until cabbage is tender, 7-9 hours (a thermometer inserted in filling should read at least 165°).
1 cabbage roll with 3 tablespoons sauce: 202 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC