Turkey Sandwiches With Red Pepper Hummus
A homemade red pepper hummus from our home economists sets this grilled sandwich apart from all the rest. Feel free to experiment with other varieties of breads, meats and cheeses.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 8 thin slices cooked turkey
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- For hummus, combine the first seven ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread; spread hummus on the other side. Place four slices buttered side down on a griddle. Layer with cheese, turkey, onion, tomatoes and remaining bread, hummus side down. Toast for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Sep 12, 2013
Jul 1, 2010
I have made this a couple times now and always with rave response. My husband does not like onions, but he likes this! Also, the hummus is excellent with all sorts of other things... I great recipe to keep on hand!