Sometimes I use baked squares of thawed puff pastry instead of toast. The puff pastry bakes up flaky and crispy. Phyl Broich-Wessling, Garner, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 slices white bread, toasted
- 8 slices cooked turkey
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in the Swiss cheese, nutmeg and pepper until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Place toast on a baking sheet. Layer with turkey, cheese sauce, bacon, tomato and Parmesan cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 378 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Turkey and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.