Turkey Potato Meatballs
This hearty "meat-and-potatoes" dish is one of my husband's favorite meals. We like them better than traditional ground beef meatballs. Topped with a mushroom soup-based sauce, they're very savory and satisfying.—Kathy Rusert, Mena, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add turkey; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet, brown meatballs in shortening; set aside. In an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine soup, milk and rice; stir in meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 19, 2012
This dish has potential but was incredibly bland. The meatballs could use more spices, same with the rice and cream of mushroom soup combination. I will make this again but only to find a way to make it taste better.