Turkey Pinto Bean Salad with Southern Molasses Dressing
This salad is a welcome alternative to the usual post-Thanksgiving fare. It's a tasty main dish loaded with good-for-you protein.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons oil. Place garlic and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until chopped. Add the molasses, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and reserved oil. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, beans, green pepper, celery, onion and parsley. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If desired, serve with lettuce leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 379 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Turkey Pinto Bean Salad with Southern Molasses Dressing in Taste of Home November 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.