It was time to amp up my usual sandwich rotation. I used pesto with turkey, sweet red pepper and onion to get the crunch and munch factor going. —Rusty Koll, Elmwood, Illinois
Recommended: 50 Christmas Lunch Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound turkey breast tenderloins, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 4 hoagie buns, split partway
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat broiler. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return turkey to pan; stir in pesto. Remove from heat.
- Place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Top with turkey mixture and cheese. Broil 2-3 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Pesto Subs in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016