Turkey Penne with Lemon Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 pound turkey breast cutlets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute turkey in 1 tablespoon butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute broccoli and carrots in remaining butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, bouillon granules, thyme, pepper and salt until blended. Combine cream and lemon juice; gradually stir into broccoli mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta; add to the skillet. Stir in turkey and tomatoes and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 528 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Apr 1, 2012
I agree that this recipe as is came out too bland. Would maybe add onions, certainly more lemon (maybe add some zest) next time. Might be good if you used shrimp instead of turkey & dill instead of thyme.
Dec 5, 2011
I made this right after Thanksgiving to use up leftover turkey. The seasoning was OK but on the bland side--the next time I make this I'll add more thyme than the recipe says. Also I would saute the carrots by themselves first so I don't wind up with limp broccoli. For the cream sauce, I'd either use more flour to thicken it or else use cornstarch; the recipe's version coated everything well but wasn't thick.
Sep 11, 2011
I really liked this a lot! I used the precooked turkey in the meat section at the grocery store and I also used the lemon dill finishing sauce at Publix...just made it very simple for me. I froze half and we can't wait to eat it this week!! It was very flavorful!
Sep 10, 2011
Sounds delicious, but very high in calories.
Aug 27, 2011
We loved the lemon twist on this pasta cream sauce recipe. I used fat free half and half to cut the fat and added more flour to help thicken it further. I also used chicken because that is what I had on hand. I added more veggies as well and it was a hit! I have 5 kids and each of them asked for seconds or even thirds! Thanks for a great kid-friendly recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.