Turkey ‘N’ Beef Loaf
Not only does this moist and tender meat loaf taste good, it's good for you as well. I like the combination of the beef and turkey.—C. White, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs (2 slices)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Additional parsley, optional
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Add the egg, egg substitute, bread crumbs, parsley, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a 9x5-in. loaf; place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Top with ketchup.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 249 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Turkey 'N' Beef Loaf in Country Woman May/June 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.