Turkey-Mushroom Egg Rolls
I slow-cook ground turkey and mushrooms in a hoisin, soy and sesame sauce, then roll up the mixture with crunchy veggies to make finger-licking egg rolls. They are a favorite with guests—I never have leftovers. —Sarah Herse, Brooklyn, New York
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 42 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce or Chinese-style mustard, optional
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in mushrooms, leeks, celery, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir water chestnuts and green onions into turkey mixture; cool slightly.
- With one corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, place 2 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll egg roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unfried egg rolls on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, fry egg rolls as recipe directs, increasing cooking time to 4-5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 egg roll (calculated without sauce): 196 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.